The certified caregiver certificate program is designed to prepare students for entry level healthcare positions in assisted living facilities. Students completing this program will be prepared to take the knowledge examination for certification by the Arizona Board of Nursing’s Care Institution Administrators and Assisted Living Facility Managers (NCIA/ALFM).
In order to register, students will sign the AHS 120 Registration Checklist along with the necessary documents listed and upload to the Nursing and Allied Health Secure upload or bring it to the Fourth Street Campus. Fourth Street Registration will then reach out confirming that the student is ready to register and will assist in completing registration for the course.
- The course will be 6 weeks, meeting on Saturdays for 7 hours.
- A total of 62 hours of coursework is required for successful completion of the course (42 hours in person and 20 hours online).
- A shadowing experience at one of the local long-term care facilities for 20 hours is also required for successful completion of the course.
- Week 7 will include the required CPR and First Aid class (requires a separate registration and fee through CCC’s Community Education and Workforce Training).
- Food Handler’s certificate completion will be required during the course.
- Prior to the certificate being issued, the student will be required to register and successfully pass the Arizona Assisted Living Facility Caregiver Medication Management test through D&S Diversified Technologies LLP.
Requirements to receive the certificate include
- Successfully complete AHS 120 (Caregiver I)
- Successfully complete the CPR and First Aid Certification (embedded into the course at an additional charge)
- Successfully complete the Food Handler Certification (embedded into the course at an additional charge)
- Successfully complete the Arizona Assisted Living Facility Caregiver Medication Management test (after the course is completed with an additional charge)
Requirements to enroll in AHS 120 include
- 18 years of age or older (must be 18 prior to end of the course)
- Application and acceptance to Coconino Community College.
- For more information and to apply, visit the Apply Now page.
- Placement into ENG 098 or above (at least 2 of the following HS GPA 2.0-2.59, HS English grade C or better, or Accuplacer 237-249).
- Current AZ DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card
- The procedure for obtaining an AZ DPS Fingerprint clearance card can be found on the AZ DPS Website. The fingerprint clearance card must be in hand at the time of registration and must not expire prior to the end of the course.
- Signed Criminal Background Check Acknowledgement form (either upon registration or with an advisor)
Criminal Background Check Notice
A criminal background check is required prior to enrolling in the certified caregiver course.
|Textbook||$52.75 (CCC Bookstore)|
|Food Handler’s Card||$20 (plus tax)|
|CPR and First Aid Certification||$105|
|Tuition (4 credit hours @ $153/hour)||$612 (plus applicable registration fees)|
|AZ DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card||$67|
|D&S Diversified Technologies Knowledge Test||$65|
Questions / Assistance
For questions, please contact the Nursing and Allied Health Department: 928-526-7640