Form 1098-T Frequently Asked Questions


What is IRS Form 1098-T?

Eligible educational institutions must file form 1098-T for all students they enroll and for whom a reportable transaction is made. You, or the person who can claim you as a dependent, may be able to claim an education credit on form 1040, for the qualified tuition and related expenses that were paid. To see if you qualify for the credit, refer to IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits of Education, IRS Form 8863 Education Credits, and the Form 1040 instructions.

Why did I receive Form 1098-T?

CCC is required to provide this form for all students that had a reportable transaction during the tax year. You received a form from us because of enrollment activity at CCC during the tax year.

Why didn’t I receive Form 1098-T?

Reasons you may not have received a Form 1098-T:

  • CCC does not have a valid Mailing Address on file for you.
    • Please make sure you update you current mailing address prior to January 1st of each year. You must also inactivate all invalid mailing addresses.
  • Your course work was not for credit.
  • Your scholarships and grants exceed the qualified tuition and related expenses.  (See below.)
  • All reporting amounts equal zero.
    • This could happen if you drop all classes during the 100% refund period.

We only mail 1098-T forms if you have a reportable transaction during the tax year. If your Financial Aid is more than what was paid, a 1098-T may not be mailed to you.

Why am I being asked to fill out a W-9S form?

For students who do not have a taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or social security number (SSN) on file, we request this information be provided on the W-9S tax form. This information is important so that we can provide you with annual form 1098-T. It is important to note that failure to furnish your correct SSN or ITIN to the requester (CCC) could result in an IRS penalty of $50 unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect.