Environmental Technology: Alt. Energy Technology (AAS Degree)
- Last Updated: 22 August 2014
The Associate of Applied Science in Environmental Technology: Alternative Energy Technician will provide students with the skills to pursue a career in the Alternative Energy field. The student will be instructed through mastery learning components and field study workshops arranged with local contractors. Students may apply credit hours earned in the Construction Technology Certificate toward completion of the AAS degree.
General Education Requirements (25 credits)
|*All AGEC coursework must be selected from the approved AGEC list.|
|Composition (6 credits)|
|ENG 101||College Composition I||3|
|ENG 102||Collge Composition II||3|
|Mathematics (3 credits)|
|MAT 140 or higher.||College Mathematics||5|
|Arts/Humanities (3 credits)|
|Social/Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)|
|Physical/Biological Sciences (8 credits)|
|Options (3 credits)|
|CIS 120||Intro to Computer Information Systems||3|
Degree Core Requirements (36 credits)
|CTM 115||Introduction to Wood Working||3|
|CTM 120||building the Human evironment||3|
|CTM 123||Building Contruction methods I||3|
|Contruction Methods II||3|
|CTM 130||Blueprint Reading||3|
|CTM 132||Solar Water Heating||2|
|CTM 138||Introduction to Solar Design Applications||1|
|CTM 150||Basic Electrical Theory||3|
|CTM 151||House Wiring I||3|
|CTM 211||International Building Code||3|
|CTM 235||Solar Home Design||3|
|CTM 236||Photovoltaics and Wind Power||3|
The outcomes identified below define the knowledge and skill sets that graduates of this program will possess at the end of their program of study.
- Possess the appropriate skills in drafting, design and layout used in contemporary alternative energy applications.
- Possess the appropriate knowledge of energy and solar principles used in alternative energy applications.
- Acquire the computer operation skills and competencies applied to drafting using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
- Understand and apply knowledge of alternative energy systems including solar heating, Photovoltaic energy, wind power, energy and heat transfer, and energy efficiencies.
- Demonstrate competent application of methods used in the construction trades including carpentry, masonry, electricity, and plumbing.
- Employ critical thinking and evaluation skills to ensure compliance with building construction codes in the design and construction of alternative energy systems.