CCC Clay Club sponsors holiday sale

Dozens of ceramic pieces made by student members of the Coconino Community College Clay Club were offered for sale to help support the students and the club.

 

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - A great deal of work goes on behind the scenes of making something as simple as a ceramic mug or bowl. First you throw the piece, then trim it, let it dry, dip it into glaze, and then there is a final firing.

 

“It takes more time, equipment and space than painting, and you can’t sell it for the price you can for painting,” said former CCC Ceramics student and instructor Gary Boyer. “Really, you’re doing it because you love doing it - not because it’s a good way to make a living.”

 

The CCC Clay Club sponsored a clay and ceramics holiday sale from Tuesday, Nov. 27 to Thursday, Nov. 29 at the Lone Tree Campus Commons. The three-day event is held annually to raise money for the CCC Clay Club and for the student artists involved.

 

Students spend the semester handcrafting their art to be displayed at the holiday sale. The students receive 60 percent of the proceeds, while the remaining 40 percent goes to the CCC Clay Club. 

 

“We have raised $1,110 so far; so about $400 of that will go to the Clay Club,” said Ceramics Instructor Don Fethkenher.

 

The holiday sale takes place at the same time as the student art exhibition. There are paintings, drawings, photographs and ceramic pieces displayed in the student art exhibition for two weeks at the Lone Tree Campus Commons, some pieces for sale and some not.

 

Enrollment is underway at CCC for all classes, including Art and Ceramics. Reserve your spot today by going to www.coconino.edu.

 

-30-

Category
Spotlight
Date
Friday, 30th November 2018
 
 

All Dates

  • Friday, 30th November 2018