Health Information Management (Certificate)
- Last Updated: 19 May 2014
Minimum credits Required: 37
This Certificate is designed to prepare students for entry-level positions as a certified coding associate. The students will receive training in numerous areas, giving them an understanding of the varied responsibilities and skills necessary for employment. Students completing the Certificate are eligible to sit for the American Health Information Management Associate certificate exam to become a Certified Coding Associate.
Certificate Requirements (37 credits)
|AHS 100||Introduction to US Health Care System||3|
|AHS 131||Medical Terminology||3|
|BIO 160||Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|CIS 120||Introduction to Computer Informaiton Systems||3|
|HIM 110||Introuction to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT-4)||4|
|HIM 111||Introduction to ICD 9-CM & ICD 10-CM||3|
|HIM 112||Information Technology in HIM||3|
|HIM 121||Understanding Medical Therapies for HIM 3||3|
|HIM 122||Introduction to Medical Billing and Reimbursement||4|
|HIM 123||Health Records Documentation in HIM||3|
|HIM 289||Externship for HIM||4|
- Describe the role of a certified coding associate in the medical setting
- Demonstrate a professional attitude and image
- Identify effective verbal and non-verbal communication
- Ensure accuracy, completeness and proper entry into computer systems
- CCA exhibits coding competency in any setting, in both hospitals and physician practices.
- Effectively operate computer hardware and software as applicable to the healthcare industry.
- Possess the ability, synthesize and evaluate data
- Understand and use medical terminology and health care delivery.
- Understand and work within the rules of ethics and law in healthcare.
Certificate Outcome Assessment:
- Students will demonstrate attainment of certificate level outcomes through a variety of techniques including course assessments.
- Attainment of industry standard certification through the American Health Information Management Associate to become a Certified Coding Associate.