What is Assessment?
Assessment is an ongoing, systematic process that involves:
- Establishing clear, measurable expected goals of student learning
- Gathering, analyzing, and interpreting information
- Applying information and using the results for continuous improvement of teaching and learning.
Student Learning includes the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and personal development attained through curricular, co-curricular, and out-of-class learning experiences.
Help faculty/departments/programs determine goals and objectives/outcomes
- What demonstrates understanding?
- What demonstrates knowledge?
- What demonstrates mastery?
Assist in the development of assessment instruments that collect data useful for determining attainment of objectives
- How are students progressing in the program?
- What pedagogical approaches are most effective?
- What changes or modifications are needed to help students?
Provide diagnostic feedback
- What are the student’s needs?
- Where could students improve and the program improve in order to meet those needs?
- Are the instruments collecting useful data?
Motivate student learning
- For students: How am I doing? How can I learn better?
- For faculty: What is working for the students? What can we do to help students more?
Help the institution remain accountable
- Are we providing students with the educational experience we say we are?