450-03 COMPLAINT AND GRIEVANCE RESOLUTION—PROCEDURE
A grievance is a complaint by a College employee alleging a violation or misapplication of a College policy or procedure that directly governs the employee’s terms and conditions of employment.
Full-time faculty and staff who have completed their probationary periods and part-time faculty and staff are eligible to participate in the grievance process. All grievances shall commence within twenty (20) calendar days of the incident which gave rise to the grievance. The grievance process does not apply to any complaints about a decision to dismiss, demote, or suspend an employee without pay for ten (10) work days or more (refer to 450-05 Appeal Procedure).
- When an employee has a grievance he/she shall discuss it with his/her immediate supervisor. If the grievance cannot be resolved with the immediate supervisor, the employee will go to the next level of supervision through the highest level of supervision. Every effort shall be made to resolve all grievances on an informal basis between the employee and the immediate supervisor.
- If the employee does not believe the problem has been satisfactorily resolved, after discussion with all levels of supervision, the employee may file a formal written grievance with Human Resources within ten (10) calendar days after meeting with the highest level of supervision.
- Human Resources shall discuss the grievance with the employee, and others involved or having information pertinent to the issue, and then render findings and recommendations to the President.
- When the President receives the recommendation, he/she may also discuss the grievance with the employee and others involved prior to making a decision and then render a written decision to the employee. This is the final step in the process and the President’s decision shall be final.
1. References: none
2. Revision history: 07/1995, 04/08/2009, 02/23/2011
3. Legal Review: 02/2011
4. Sponsored by: Human Resources
Adopted by College Council: 02/23/2011
COCONINO COMMUNITY COLLEGE