Student Center Exercise
For extra credit, complete this worksheet and have it signed by a Student Center Associate.
Using Commas and Semicolons
Student name_____________________ Date__________________
- What is an independent clause?
- When separating independent clauses with a conjunction and a comma, which
comes first, the conjunction or the comma?
- What is a comma splice?
- What is a run on?
- Place commas in the following sentences and write the rule for comma usage.
- I respect my parents but I resent their attempts to choose a career for me.
- Yes I bought my tickets last week.
- The melon was pink sweet and juicy.
- These mountains the San Francisco Peaks seem unreal.
- What is a comma’s main purpose?
- When do you use a semicolon?
- Place a semicolon in the following sentences.
- George knew the answer to the last essay exam question he didn’t have enough time to write his response.
b. I had a paper due therefore I worked on the computer.